Monday, 27 February 2017

Grey and Purple.

I had a quick trip out to Hampton this morning, pulling up to a stiff North Westerly, grey skies and drizzle which steadily got harder throughout the 30 minutes I lasted there. Why I bothered I don't know, photography was always going to be an effort and I could probably of listed what I was going to see before I got there. A plus was eventually finding the Med Gull, flying out over the end of the pier but I lost it and could not re locate it. I found the 2 Purple Sandpiper's in their usual place, both looking more miserable than I did. Common, Back Headed and Herring Gulls were loafing about just offshore and 4 Great Black backed gulls were seen further out. Other bits noted were 1 Oyster-catcher, 7 Sanderling, 7 Redshank and the normal large numbers of Turnstones. A waste of time really but I have not been out birding in over a week so it dusted of the cobwebs if nothing else.




A lot more exciting was the news of 36 Common Cranes seen flying North over the Restharrow scrape on the Sandwich Bay estate towards Pegwell. They were then seen later from Pegwell, flying back towards Sandwich and landing somewhere around the New Downs area on the Sandwich Bay estate. (Noted by the observer on twitter) I know Cranes are easily viewed in France and Spain and also they can be found in Norfolk but a sizeable flock in Kentish airspace is indeed a sight worth seeing. I will go have a look tomorrow, 36 Cranes on Restharrow scrape, now that would be something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment