Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Gadwall's but no Garganey !!!

A report on social media of 10 Garganey at Grove got the enthusiasm levels pumped a little and I have spent a few hours in between work over the past week seeking out one or two of these rather dapper looking ducks, especially the Drakes when in their breeding plumage. I have been rather lucky with this species over recent years at Stodmarsh, a fine drake in front of the Marsh hide on the 29th of March 2014


and another drake, this time in front of the Reed Bed hide on the 7th of April 2015.


Anyway, after far too much time wasted on what I thought was going to be an easy exercise, (my thoughts being that 10 Garganey would be hard to hide even in a large reserve like Stodmarsh) I finally gave up, having to make do with images of a Gadwall, which funnily enough were numbering 10, (no surely not, they are a different colour lol) on the pool out in front of the Feast hide.



A Water Pipit was in the reed stubble to the right of the Feast hide, three Common Snipe, a Kingfisher and 5 Marsh Harriers in the air together were seen from the Reed bed hide and a Black-necked Grebe that I missed, was reported on the main Stodmarsh lake. I saw and heard a couple of singing Chiffchaffs along the entrance track to the reserve from the Grove end, but in reality, very little rewards for my time and effort.



                                

No comments:

Post a Comment