Wednesday, 24 May 2017

More Cuckoo Encounters.

Not a lot going on with me at the moment, killing time before our trip to Wales next week. I have made use of the lovely sun filled mornings with a few visits to Stodmarsh, arriving as the Sun rises, staying until about 8.00am and leaving for work before many visitors arrive on the reserve. The Reed bed hide has had a single Common Sandpiper present on three of my visits (a record shot below) and the resident Heron continues to successfully fish the pool in front of the hide.







For the past week, there have been three Cuckoo's chasing each other around the trees that line the Lampern Wall. Having the reserve virtually to myself for an hour or so, I was able to get below their chosen perches and rattle off a few shots, making a nice change from the usual flight shots associated with this species.











Although looking up at them, (not ideal) it's nice to get Cuckoo's perched out in the open and not covered in foliage. Cuckoo's are one smart looking bird in my opinion, my favourite of the commoner migrants that visit our shores. I was also able to get a few images of them in flight, endorsing my last blog post title, "Cuckoo's, like Buses"






Hopefully my next post will have a few different bird images from our 4 day stay in the Elan Valley in Powy's Mid Wales. 


3 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures Steve enough to send me "Cuckoo"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i see you are still with us John. Taking time out ?

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your pics from Wales Steve

    ReplyDelete