Pages

Saturday, 27 May 2017

Feasting on Common Terns.

I did not think I would be able to get out again until after our Welsh trip but I had a few hours free this morning (Sat 27th) and had a walk down the Lampern wall at Stodmarsh looking for Common Terns to photograph. I arrived just after 05.45 am but to my surprise I could not see any Terns out on the two Tern rafts on the main lake. I only stayed for half an hour as it was a little slow, two Cuckoo's seen but distant, 2 Garden Warblers heard and my first booming Bittern of the year. It only boomed 3 times, fairly distant from me on the Lampern Wall by the two benches, the Bittern seemingly somewhere out on Water Meadows between the river and the Marsh hide. Bittern's have been like Hens teeth for me this year. I stopped at the Grove end of the reserve on the way home and called into the Feast hide where there were 10 common Terns  (5 pairs) out on the new island in front of the hide. ( Are these the Stodmarsh ones ?) Every now and then they were spooked and got up and flew around the pool giving me a chance to use the camera. It looks like a few nest site are being scraped out so hopefully they will remain in view of the hide for a while. A male Marsh Harrier was hunting out over the reed beds and a distant Sparrowhawk was seen over the river. Two Mute Swans were showing of their 3 fluffy Signets.




Nice to finish the day off watching Arsenal actually play some decent football and a much needed piece of silverware to end a rather disappointing season.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got a bit of silverware and it's the first time I have seen Wenger with a smile on his face this year, on a more personal note my team secured premiership status, hooray

    ReplyDelete